Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Tomorrow With You First Impression

We learn a little more about the high stakes hinted at in tvN’s upcoming drama Tomorrow With You through the recently released highlight teaser. Originally, it was marketed as the love story between a handsome time-traveling investment firm CEO and a cheerful child star who grew up to be a photographer.
So I thought it was going to be a sweet fantasy romance in the vein of Oh My Venus with lots of fluff and warm fuzzy feelings. However, the latest extended teaser shows that there’s a thrilling mystery at play which may have life-threatening consequences. In the first teaser, Lee Je Hoon witnesses his body being carried on a stretcher while a portending voice tells him the exact time of his death: March 25, 2019, at 9:10 PM. Like any human being, his urge to live trumps everything else, and he uses his knowledge to change the future despite warnings against messing with time.

Lee Je Hoon (Signal) plays the CEO who seems almost psychic when it comes to future investments (well, I would be too if I could time travel like him). He is pretty happy-go-lucky about his supernatural power until he sees his own death in the future, and the one other person who dies with him. He seeks her out, thinking that she may be the key to undoing his future tragedy. When he messes with the space-time continuum, Lee Je Hoon complicates his own future and somehow ends up with a wife that his future self said he would marry. But it doesn’t seem like the start is that smooth.

The bride-to-be, Shin Min Ah (Oh My Venus), has no clue about her future husband’s abilities.
Eventually, he met with Bap Soon (played by Shin Min Ah) and even saves her life once, when he catches a glimpse of her getting hit by a truck, and then he discovers that he may have inadvertently saved her life before. In one of his far-fetched ideas, he believes that maybe getting married could be the changing variable to topple the morbid destiny he saw for them in the future. While Shin Min Ah was approaches by a cute younger man, she’s over the moon.
Of course not immediately — in a couple of encounters, we see how their budding chemistry takes them from awkward strangers to adorable lovers.
On one date he says, “Noona, you can’t like me, okay?” She answers in sing-song, already smitten, “I won’t like you~” As memories of her drunken night arise, Shin Mina yells at herself in the mirror for all her embarrassing moments the night before. She’d told her drinking partner things like, “Don’t like me, or you’ll get hurt,” “I’m not a loose woman,” and “I can be very alluring.” Morning-after Shin Mina hopes she didn’t talk about having pretty legs… only to have Flashback Shin Mina declare proudly, “My legs are very pretty, you know.”
Days later, she asks how he can skip over the handholding and go straight to wanting to live together, and he shocks her by saying he wants to get married.
The recently released stills show the newlyweds waking up together and having morning coffee like the picture-perfect couple.

But in the teaser we see that once they are married, her over-the-top aegyo makes his toes curl.
But this doesn’t seem to change their fates the way Lee Je Hoon expected, and people keep telling him to give up on Shin Min Ah in the present before things get worse. Although he doesn’t know why, his friends tell him that one day in the future, he disappeared without a word, leaving his wife to mourn her missing husband. 

From episode 1-4 which I have watched, things are going smooth. What a whirlwind of a premiere; my mind is still trying to catch up. I’d been looking forward to Tomorrow With You since time travel is a theme I typically enjoy. It’s that dimensions-crossing quality and the fear of possible doom by one wrong move that keeps me intrigued, and at present (hur), this drama stirs my curiosity.


I love how the story goes, specially the situation which Ma Rin (played by Shin Min Ah) was and how she dealt with the situation. I know that it is easy to ignore what other people said, but that was easy to be said than to be done. But seeing how she stands up by herself was something that amazed me so much because not so many people are able to do that! She is indeed amazing woman. I love Shin Min Ah's character her, despite her foolness in terms of dating.

Though I feel these four episode speed is a little bit faster for marriage, I found out that perhaps this story was intended to show us the true love as how So Joon (played by Lee Je Hoon) will eventually love Ma Rin selflessly. I do think that we needed these four episodes to work our way up to the romance, because no matter how motivated So Joon is by death and preventing future tragedy, we still have to believe in a baseline attraction and connection between them to lead to marriage, and in this episode I saw the sparks and bought into the romance wholesale. The proposal was insane, but then when he comforted her at her lowest point and bothered to read her crazy long email to understand her, and jumped through all those hoops to woo her, his progression from concern to attraction felt natural. The wedding was unnaturally fast, of course, but that’s motivated by something much larger and we need that to launch us into the backwards romance where love comes after wedding vows. As he also said that marriage is actually a life with a longtime friend which I assumed that he got married just to prevent his future death.

I like that Ma Rin has been so guarded until now (because So Joon really seemed like a crazy person most of the time, from her perspective), and the way she explains her lifelong fear of being loved and then abandoned makes perfect sense to me. It also terrifies me because I think she’ll break if she discovers that So Joon didn’t love her when he married her. It seems so unfair that he’s working with all this foreknowledge to get her to trust him and open her heart, so that by the time they’re getting married, she’s hopelessly in love while he’s nowhere near that level of emotional investment. I can’t help but be mad at him for that, even though this is exactly the position he needs to be in for his big comeuppance down the line. It’s just that my heart bleeds for Ma Rin, who is so vulnerable and relatable, and now completely head over heels in love under false pretenses, so I can’t help but feel protective of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment