Friday, September 23, 2016

Park Bo Gum: Another Calvin Chen In My Life

In my childhood memory, there were quite a few actors who grab my attention like Vic Zhou from F4Ming Dao from 183 Club and Fahrenheit. They filled my childhood with those sweet memories. It was exactly sixteen years ago that I started my fandom toward Asian dramas wave. 


It was really a huge booming of Huan Zhu Ge Ge at that time, although I don't quite understand it since the story was quite complicated for a girl around 6 years old. 


Then I was introduced me to Autumn in My Heart (Endless Love) played by Song Hye Kyo, Song Seung Hun and Won Bin. It was my first ever melodrama which made a 8 years-old girl cried along the way from watching the ending. But at that time, I am not really into Korean/Hallyu wave. 

Years after that, I was still a happily going here and there with my life without having much interest towards Asian dramas. However, my cousin sometimes updates me with some dramas like At The Dolphin Bay, 100% Senorita, Amor De Tarapaca and Mars. In 2004, I found a new taiwanese drama called, 天國的嫁衣 or Heaven's Wedding Gown, starring Cindy Wang, Leon Jay Williams and Ming Dao. That is when my addiction towards drama started to crave for more. Ming Dao is the second lead for Heaven's Wedding Gown but he's someone who acts as the daddy-long-legs and that's my first time having my second lead syndrome (I just knew that it had happened a long time ago). It is even more amazing when I knew that my best friend also had a crush on him too!


We started to watch his next drama, The Prince Who Turns Into A Frog, which also starring Joe Chen (7 Flowers), Sam Wang (183 Club) and Joyce Chao (7 Flowers). Because of this drama, we were already a fan of 183 Club and 7 Flowers for few years to come. Even I had their albums and also Jungiery/J-Star album (J-star is the management house of 183 Club and 7 Flowers). We also entered the fandom world and tried to connect with other fans through forums. It was a super happy memory all long. I also came to Magicians of Love fan meetings just to spot Ming Dao for real at Nikko Hotel, Thamrin! That time, I earned my first salary from teaching English when I was around 13 to 14 years old and half of that money was used to buy the ticket. 


After that, I watched all dramas which had Ming Dao in it. My journey with Taiwanese dramas started to begin, from It Started With A Kiss, Devil Beside You, Silence, Smiling Pasta, Corner With Love and others, but Ming Dao had always been my fave because his acting is very good one. In fact, Actually I don't know about him that much since he rarely do interviews. What I cared most at that time is the fact whether he dated Joe Chen for real or not. But then since 2007, Ming Dao has been active in China's market, leaving the Taiwanese industry which I am not interested as much as I had before. Besides, as you know, China is a closed country, it's even harder for me to be able to get news about him.

When I traveled to Hongkong, I found out Fahrenheit from one of Asian Pop magazine and I started to like Wu Zun first for his handsome look and watched Hanazakarino Kimitachihe, starring Wu Zun, Ella S.H.E and Jiro Wang. It's a crossdressing romantic-comedy which is adapted from Japanese comic from the same name. It was a huge hit for Wu Zun though I don't like Ella actually. And so, my best friend and I changed from one target to another one, Wu Zun, a Bruneian actor and singer. We watched Tokyo Juliet, his first series, starring him and Ariel Lin


In 2007, Wu Zun was casted into another drama called Romantic Princess with Angela Zhang in which I was introduced to another character of Nan Feng Cai (played by Calvin Chen) who acted as a cheerful playboy but has a warm heart. I fell for him directly at that point. Well, actually it was before then, when I saw the Asian magazine and thought that 'this guy is my type' although at that time he hadn't done any dramas. Moreover, when Romantic Princess had their Meet & Greet at Jakarta, I came for Calvin Chen. In that year, he starred also in The X-Family as Wang Ya Se. With my addiction to him, I watched KO One series and fell deeply with this guy. And so, my attention was fully drawn to Fahrenheit, specially to Calvin Chen


After that, during 2008 till 2010, I've been keeping my eye on Taiwanese dramas, not only to those drama with my idol as the main lead. I watched Fated To Love You, starring Joe Chen, Ethan Ruan, Bianca Bai (starred in Angel Eyes with Ming Dao in 2006) and Baron Chen, and found it to be an amazing drama, with its rating exceeding The Prince Who Turns Into A Frog. After that, I also watched Momo Love, starring Cindy Wang, Jiro Wang and Calvin Chen which he is the 2nd lead. That year is a year only for Fahrenheit brothers to shine. They were casted into several dramas like K.O 3an Guo, ToGetHer, Rolling Love and I watched all of dramas which Fahrenheit acted on it. It might not be a drama with a high rating but I still won't budge. Besides they are considered as an idol rather than actor, so there is of course some prejudices towards them.

My fan addiction leads me to get to know him more till I even made a blog post on wretch at that time to understand Chinese character. I never ever like learning Chinese. It was the most difficult subject ever, but I changed to a completely different person just by a night, Chinese course has been my fave subject ever, even I was one of my teacher's fave student.


After Fated To Love You, another drama came out with heart-touching story line, Autumn's Concerto, starring Ady An and Vanness Wu in which I am really a big fan of this 下一站,幸福 (Next Stop, Happiness), adapted from popular novel with the same name. Even at that time I was having my exam for my second year high school, I never skip the airing date of this drama. After they aired it locally, I streamed online directly (because I can watch it without subs - thanks to Calvin Chen who motivated me to learn Chinese) and slept at 1 in the morning. Given the fact that I am having exam the next day, it was really awesome that I went beyond a normal fan.

That year, Calvin Chen also casted alongside Aaron Yan (Fahrenheit) and Reen Yu on Love Buffet, adapted from Japanese manga Parfait Tic! as Daiya who ends up with the female lead and I was very happy that he finally get his leading role and won the heart of the female lead after so many years becoming the 2nd male lead. After finishing Love Buffet, Calvin joined military service for two years, then he never does any dramas and instead he became a TV Host for entertainment program. Thus, allowing me to focus on my study first. 


However, it was then when Goong hit it big, starring Yoon Eun Hye & Joo Ji Hoon, the Hallyu wave started to spread its wings. But when Meteor Garden was remade into Korean dramas with the title Boys Over Flowers, starring Lee Min Ho, Go Hye Sun, Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Bum and Kim Joon, things changed at super fast speed. Korean dramas started to emerge into the market and Korean Filming industries tried to compete for ratings with interesting and attractive storyline. It was then the Hallyu waves hit the Asian market. I see a new light in Korean industry as BOF is really a good drama, with nice songs, good cinematography and spectacular places. 


With all my favorite Taiwanese actor and actress move to Mainland industries and they are old enough, my orientation started to change its direction towards K-dramas. Besides, I also watched hit K-dramas such as You're Beautiful, starring Park Shin Hye, Jang Geun Suk and Jung Yong Hwa, also Brilliant Legacy, starring Han Hyo Joo, Lee Seung Gi and Moon Chae Won

Finally I entered my Uni-life, much or less, my daily activities are the same like before but I have a lot of more time to watch dramas. But as I get older and more mature, I try to avoid things like Fan Meeting and Meet & Greet. One time when I just moved to Singapore and to fulfil my wish to meet all the Fahrenheit member, I came to Fahrenheit album promoting in Novena. The next year, it's Aaron Yan's promoting his drama at Bugis+. The last time I went to Fan Meeting was when Kim Hyun Joong came for promoting The Face Shop. 


He's really popular because of Boys Over Flowers. But I had to wait for him like a fool for two hours. Actually I am having exam the next day, but I went to Punggol to see him instead of studying. At that time, I swore that I will no longer follow actors nor actress, even waiting them like a fool. Therefore, I just watch dramas only rather than idoling actors/actress. Some of the dramas I watched since 2009 are stated below:

2009
K-dramas
- Boys Over Flowers (Lee Min Ho, Go Hye Sun, Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Bum and Kim Joon)
- You're Beautiful (Park Shin Hye, Jang Geun Suk and Jung Yong Hwa)
- Brillian Legacy (Han Hyo Joo, Lee Seung Gi and Moon Chae Won)
- Take Care of Young Lady (Yoon Eun Hye, Yoon Sang Hyun, Jung Il Woo)
- Cinderella Man (Kwon Sang Woo & YoonA)

Taiwanese dramas
- Autumn's Concerto (Ady An & Vanness Wu)
- ToGetHer (Jiro Wang, Rainie Yang, George Hu)
- Momo Love (Jiro Wang, Cindy Wang, Calvin Chen)
- Knock Knock Loving You (Ming Dao, Dylan Guo, Maggie Wu)
- Easy Fortune Happy Life (Joe Chen & Blue Lan)
- My Queen (Ethan Ruan & Cheryl Yang)
- Starlit (Jerry Yan & Terry Kwan)

2010
K-dramas
- Secret Garden (Hyun Bin and Ha Ji Won) -> my fave all the time
- Personal Preference (Lee Min Ho & Son Ye Jin)
- Playful Kiss (Kim Hyun Joong & Jung So Min)
- Prosecutor Princess (Park Si Hoo & Kim So Yun)
- Cinderella's Sister (Moon Geun Yeong, Chun Jung Myun, Seo Woo)
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Doctors (Jang Seo Hee, Go Joo Won, Suh Ji Suk, Song Joong Ki)
- Oh! My Lady (Choi Si Won)
- Mary Stayed Out All Night (Moon Geun Yeong & Jang Geun Suk)

Taiwanese dramas
- Love Buffet (Calvin Chen, Reen Yu, Aaron Yan)
- Summer's Desire (Barbie Xu, Peter Ho, Huang Xiao Ming)
- P.S. Man (Blue Lan & Sonia Sui)
- Endless Love (Wilber Pan & Sandrine Pina)
- Gloomy Salad Days (Aaron Yan & Serena Fang)
- The Fierce Wife (Sonia Sui, Wen Sheng Hao, Chris Wang & Amanda Zhu)

2011
K-drama
- Dream High (Suzy, Kim Soo Hyun, Tacyeon)
- Poseidon (Choi Si Won & Lee Si Young)
- Brain (Shin Ha Kyun)
- Ojakgyo Brothers (Joo Won & UEE)
- Miss Ripley (Lee Da Hee & Park Yoo Chun)
- My Princess (Song Seung Hun & Kim Tae Hee)
- You've Fallen For Me (Jung Yong Hwa & Park Shin Hye)
- Lie to Me (Yoon Eun Hye & Kang Ji Hwan)
- 49 Days (Lee Yo Won, Nam Gyu Ri, Jo Hyun Jae)
- City Hunter (Lee Min Ho & Park Min Young)
- Protect The Boss (Choi Kang Hee, Ji Sung & Jaejeong)
- Flower Boy Ramyun Shop (Jung Il Woo)

Taiwanese dramas
- In Time With You (Ariel Lin & Chen Bo Lin) this is the best realistic drama after Autumn's Concerto
- Material Queen (Vanness Wu & Lynn Hung)
- Drunken to Love You (Rainie Yang & Joseph Chang)

Chinese dramas:
- Bu Bu Jing Xin (Nicky Wu & Cecilia Liu)

2012
K-dramas
- Dream High 2 (Kang So Ra, Jin Woong, JB)
- Big (Gong Yoo, Lee Min Jung, Suzy)
- The Innocent Man (Song Joong Ki & Moon Chae Won)
- The Moon That Embraces The Sun (Kim Soo Hyun & Han Ga In) -> best drama after Secret Garden
- The King 2 Hearts (Ha Ji Won & Lee Seung Gi)
- Arang and the Magistrate (Lee Jun Ki & Shin Min Ah)
- I Miss You (Yoon Eun Hye & Park Yoo Chun)
- Dr. Jin (Song Seung Hun, Park Min Young & Jaejeong)
- May Queen (Han Ji Hye, Kim Jae Won, Jae Hee)
- Faith (Lee Min Ho & Kim Hee Sun)
- Rooftop Prince (Park Yoo Chun & Han Ji Min)
- To The Beautiful You - remade of Hanakimi (Sulli, Minho, Lee Hyun Woo)
- Cheongdamdong Alice (Moon Geun Young & Park Si Hoo)
- A Gentleman's Dignity (Jang Dong Gun & Kim Ha Neul) -> my fave too, but cannot defeat Moon Embraces The Sun

Taiwanese dramas
- Skip Beat (Choi Si Won, Dong Hae, Ivy Chen)

2013
K-dramas
- Good Doctor (Joo Won & Moon Chae Won)
- Marry Him If You Dare (Yoon Eun Hye, Lee Dong Gun, Jung Yong Hwa)
- Gu Family Book (Lee Seung Gi & Suzy)
- When A Man Loves (Song Seung Hun & Shin Se Kyung)
- Two Weeks (Lee Jun Ki & Park Ha Sun)
- That Winter The Wind Blows (Jo In Sung, Song Hye Kyo)
- Master's Sun (So Ji Sub & Gong Hyo Jin)
- The Heirs (Lee Min Ho, Park Shin Hye, Kim Woo Bin)
- You Who Came From The Star (Kim Soo Hyun & Jun Ji Hyun) -> my fave all the time 
- Who Are You (So Yi Hyun, Taecyeon, Kim Jae Wook)
- You are the best, Lee Soon Shin (Jo Jung Suk & IU)

Taiwanese dramas:
- Love me or Leave me (Tiffany Xu & Chris Wang)

2014
K-dramas
- Cunning Single Lady (Lee Min Jung & Joo Sang Wook)
- Fated to Love You (Jang Na Ra & Jang Hyuk)
- Rosy Lovers (Lee Jang Woo & Han Sun Hwa) - I like this drama, Han Sun Hwa is a beauty!
- Doctor's Stranger (Lee Jong Suk & Jin Se Yoon)
- Birth of Beauty (Han Ye Seul & Joo Sang Wook)
- Emergency Couple (Song Ji Hyo & Choi Jin Hyuk)
- Misaeng (Im Si Wan & Kang So Ra)

2015
K-dramas
- Who Are You - School 2015 (Kim So Hyun, Nam Joo Hyuk & Yook Sung Jae)
- Oh My Venus (So Ji Sub & Shin Min Ah)
- Producer (Kim Soo Hyun, Gong Hyo Jin, Cha Tae Hyun & IU)
- Kill Me, Heal Me (Ji Sung, Hwang Jung Eum, Park Seo Joon)
- Scholar Who Walks the Night (Lee Jun Ki & Lee Yoo Bi)
- She Was Pretty (Hwang Jung Eum & Park Seo Joon)
- High Society (UEE & Sung Joon)
- Hyde, Jeklly, Me (Hyun Bin & Han Ji Min)
- Yong Pal (Joo Won & Kim Tae Hee) - standing applause up to Episode 6
- Remember (Park Min Young & Yoo Seung Ho)
- The Time We Were Not In Love (Ha Ji Won & Lee Jin Wook)
- Twenty Again (Choi Ji Woo & Lee Sang Yoon)

2016
- Descendant of the Sun (Song Joong Ki & Song Hye Kyo) - record breaking
- Uncontrollably Fond (Suzy & Kim Woo Bin)
- Love in The Moonlight (Park Bo Gum & Kim Yoo Jung) - currently
- W (Lee Jong Suk & Han Hyo Joo)
- One More Happy Ending (Jang Na Ra & Jung Kyung Ho)
- Marriage Contract (Lee Soo Jin & UEE)
- Doctors (Park Shin Hye & Kim Rae Won)
- Moon Lovers (Lee Jun Ki, IU & Kang Ha Neul) - currently
- Jealousy Incarnate (Jo Jong Suk & Gong Hyo Jin) - currently
- The Good Wife (Jeon Do Yeon)
- Cinderella & Four Knights (Park So Dam, Jung Il Woo, Ahn Jae Hyun)

My most fave Taiwanese drama which has a realistic story line
With so much dramas I have watched, it was natural that K-dramas and Taiwanese dramas are the things that inspired me much during my growing up process because I mostly learn from dramas. But in my teenage life, the memory that I cherished the most is when I went extra miles in getting to know Calvin Chen. I was one of his cupcakes (fanclub #88 Calvin21 - chocolate cupcakes with orange frosting flavor) too.


One of my dreams is to visit Taiwan at least once in my lifetime. Let me introduce you, Calvin Chen is known as Sunshine Boy because he joined a pageant-like competition (Sunshine Boyz) in Vancouver, where he won first place with a free ticket to Taiwan and a contract with a music company as well as a role in a drama. He was born in Taiwan but he was sent to Vancouver at the age of 17 to study at Simon Fraser University majoring in Economics.


After getting his Bachelor Degree, he then entered to University of Victoria, enrolled in Master Degree in Economics. Calvin comes from a traditional strict-dad-caring-mom family.  His dad is the general manager of an automotive supplies company in Taiwan. His dad initially disapproved of his choice of career. When he found out that Calvin came back from Vancouver to pursue a career in show business (and thereby abandon his budding career in banking/finance), he was so mad, he told Calvin to fly back to Canada immediately. But Calvin did not budge and pursued his career anyway. They have since reconciled and he even went to Comic Productions to film a special video message for Calvin during the launch of Fahrenciti. And Calvin specially made a cake and decorated it himself. Calvin often refers his fans, as sunshine angel in his blog post on wretch (Taiwan's Yahoo) or Fahrenciti Website. 


With my love towards Fahrenheit, my teenage life was full with memories of me joining forums like asianfanfics and Lautan Indonesia to share about Calvin Chen. Even I made my own forum dedicated to Fahrenheit specially. And because of him, I was inspired to study abroad which I had to study even harder to enter to university because the competition is hard. Sometimes I feel like I couldn't do it, but I was inspired by what Calvin has said in one of the interview that we have to work hard to pursue our dreams. He was asked the reasons he kept maintaining high marks for his academic record, he said that there is a lot of competition today and he felt that he needed to study to give him an edge. Even if he doesn't work at showbiz industries, he will have something else to work on it. Also, he felt that working hard to achieve one's goal is a good feeling plus his studies increases his knowledge and changes the way one thinks.

Moreover, when things got ever harder for me because I was rejected from the university I choose at first, I remember Calvin's motto that "Even if you fail, try, try, try, try, and try again.". It cheered me up as he is someone who inspired me to never give up in anything even if you fail many times. 


Besides being a celebrity, Calvin used to share what he thinks with his fans through blog posting which allows us to feel closer to him. Maybe it was not him who wrote and posted it, but at least he kept mentioning how grateful he was to have his fans stayed by his side. Although he is very strict towards himself, but he always stays positive and optimistic in whatever situations. I know that every dramas that he did last time, is not a big hit like any other K-dramas nowadays, but I still watch it for the sake of him. Even when he is not a talented singer, but I bought every album that Fahrenheit has released. Thinking back, I was a little bit crazy over my addiction towards Fahrenheit. Not only because of Calvin, but the rest of the members. I admit that I was still a teenager who dreams to meet her idol, even to marry her idol and Calvin is someone that I dream to have. He's 12 years older than me and I like his smile the most, because he gives the positive vibes all the time.


Another person I respect for his great mind is Wu Zun because is such a person who motivates a lot of people. In 2013, he claimed that he got married in 2009 and had a 4-years-old daughter and 2-years-old son.  He stated that he got married to his long-time-girlfriend of 14 years, Lin Li Ying. He had previously kept his marriage a secret because he respects his wife's decision that she was not ready to face the publicity and just wanted to lead a quiet family life. Even in the show business industry, he keeps his attitude right and rarely being rumored with anyone. When the interviewer asked him how could he maintained that, he answered that he doesn't want his daughter to experience something later and being told that her Dad is also someone who did the same. He's such a really loving Dad, right? I never expect that he married his first love, but seriously his real life story feels like a drama itself! But what we like about him is all about his integrity, loyalty and tender-loving attitude.


However, it's been six years I never follow Fahrenheit anymore since they are disband. I also learnt over times too that idolizing someone is not something that I should do anymore, specially because of my age. I never goes to any concerts because I feel like it's a waste of money. Thus, I am only following the dramas since 2010. However, this time when I watch Love in the Moonlight, that's when I think I found another Calvin Chen in my life...and it's - Park Bo Gum.


Park Bo Gum was born in 1993 and he is one year younger than me. I never know about him till I watch Running Man and Song Ji Hyo has been a fan of him, stating that Park Bo Gum is really hot nowadays after appearing on Reply 1988 as Choi Taek. When Song Ji Hyo asked Park Bo Gum whether he has time to help her on completing the mission, Ji Hyo said that she will go to him whenever he was. But Bo Gum said that he is the one who will come to her, such a kind guy right?


News about him keep coming, not only I heard from one or two people, but everyone said that Park Bo Gum has very good personality, inside and outside. He bows politely in the drama set and always takes care of someone else before him. He is also a very talented actor although his dream is to become a singer-songwriter at first. But he's someone who will do his best when he is given a chance to show off what he can do.


Even when he has no filming schedule, he will come to the drama set and stay at the wardrobe staff car to help the staffs in running errands. Usually when actors don’t have filming, they don’t come on set. Even if they do, they sit next to the director. But he goes beyond his role and even helps the makeup artist in doing makeup for his co-workers. When his co-workers asked him why he comes to the set when he has nothing to shoot, he said that's because he was bored too and had nothing to do. What a thoughtful guy, right?


Not only is he talented and thoughtful, Park Bo Gum is also humble about his accomplishments, and thankful for all of the love he has received. He tends to be overwhelmed by his fans’ love and is often brought to tears at fan meetings, where he profusely thanks fans for their support. OMG, I really like that teary-smile, stating the fact of how innocent he is!


One day, a fan is handing Park Bo Gum a gift. Once she sets the large shopping bag on the table, he immediate scrunches up his face into a puppy expression and frowns. His expression reads, “Why did you bring a present,” and he sways his head side-to-side. Park Bo Gum has been known to be one of the celebrities who do not receive gifts from fans. He usually says, “Rather than getting me anything, be good to your parents” or “Save this money since you’ve worked hard to earn it.” He is also known to say he prefers letters over presents and that the love of his fans is good enough for him.


More, Park Bo Gum enjoys taking the subway, and he sees no issue taking it as it is always punctual. He is very famous nowadays, but he says that he will continue using subway when he has to meet someone because it's the fastest and very cheap. I do wonder whether he will keep using subway once he finished Love in the Moonlight because he's even more famous than before.


In one variety show, Park Bo Gum stated that his mother died when he was in fourth grade and he has no family pictures at all. His mother always takes his picture but there was totally no family pictures because after growing up, he realized that his family never dress up to take pictures. Talking about that makes him cried on set. Bo Gum doesn't come from a rich family and his Dad suffered a lot of debts in the past. I wonder as how he could grow up so well without his mother, having a very nice attitude and fine looking. When I read about his past, I would really want to give him a hug and pat on his back. He's really genuine and always thankful even for the smallest thing. That's no wonder because Park Bo Gum is a devoted Christian who used to listen to Contemporary Christian Music to calm himself. He also volunteers to play piano at his Church and also has perfect self-management. He has integrity in himself. He doesn't even smoke and drinks alcohol at all. What a perfect guy to have! I am tempted to even meet him in person, though I know he has many fans and it'll be difficult to talk to him. Of course he's out of my league but I still wish to meet somebody like him. I guess his very nice personality and attitude comes from the within as he is a religious person and would probably has a lot of principles to guide his life. And that's the charm of someone. 

Despite all things mentioned above, the most memorable thing about Park Bo Gum is that he inspired me to never give up, always does the best and let God do the rest. Sometimes we forget to be grateful for what we have and always ask for more, but Bo Gum is a good example for us. 


In one interview, when he was struggling with his tight schedule, he opened up to his dad over the phone about what a difficult time he was having. His Dad then reminded him saying, ‘This is something you’ve always wanted to do.' After hearing what his Dad said to him, “Then I realized, ‘I was shortsighted. If I keep thinking that things are difficult, I will struggle even more and will feel more frustrated.’ I realized that I can be happy only when I’m doing what I’m doing.” 

Because of that, I remember how I complained about my back pain everytime I did the makeup job, but that's what I've always wanted to do and hearing what Bo Gum said, everything seems to feel much better. I've been pressured nowadays because my art work is not something to be called 'wow' but then I realized that when I think that things are difficult, then I will struggle even more and feel even more frustrated. Thus, I can only do what I can do and let God take care of the rest. I won't care as how the ending will turn out, as long as I am happy with what I am doing, I guess blessing will come along the way. 

Thanks Bo Gum, for reminding me that point and for sharing your sweetest smile always.

You are another Calvin Chen in my life and although I won't go extra miles like the last time when I was still a teenager, but you know, I am admiring you so much because you grow up as a gentleman very well. Your attitude, personality and principles make me believe that at least someone in this world can also be a model of perfect boyfriend/husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment