Monday, October 23, 2017

Escapism Vs Realism Korean Drama

Secret Garden, You From Another Star, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds, Legend of the Blue Sea, etc were my gateway drug, and dramas became my sweet escape. I loved the epic scale of the romance because it was so far away from the world I knew. A 400-year-old alien gives up everything to be with the glamorous Hallyu star who lives next door? Yes, please. A comic book character steps outside of the world he knows to be with the daughter of the man who drew him? Sign me up! A gorgeous prince is willing to risk his throne and his life to date the girl he thinks is actually a male eunuch? *jumps around excitedly* Or even a perfectly normal thug who happens to sacrifice himself to protect the identity of his mermaid? *Ohemgee*

You’re seeing the painfully obvious pattern here, right? The dramas I was falling for all involved heroes who were willing to give up what was most important to them in life, for the sake of love. It was that intense level of sacrifice that drew me in, because it stood in such stark contrast to my dating life. That’s what made me realize that the men I had been seeing weren’t making any compromises for my sake. I was always trying to fit in around the edges of the lives they wanted for themselves, and that wasn’t enough.

It was a huge wakeup call—these flights of fantasy brought me crashing down to earth in a very real way. It wasn’t that I needed a man who would give up his country, or his family, or his creativity for me. He didn’t need to be as handsome as Kim Soo Hyun, Hyun Bin, Park Bo Gum, or even Lee Min Ho. I just wanted someone to try and make me happy as much as I tried to make him happy. Like how Kang Min Hyuk portrays his character in Hospital Ship a.k.a Dr. Kwak Hyun. Dramas helped me understand that it’s okay to ask for more, to believe you are worth more.

No comments:

Post a Comment