Friday, January 19, 2018

Korean Drama - My Golden Life Review


After 'Father Is Strange' finished its run back then in September 2017, a new family drama "My Golden Life" started its course. The good news is that, My Golden Life achieves highest rating with latest episode hit 43.2% bringing the drama closer to the 50 percent milestone.

I didn't follow this drama since September last year, but there are so many news regarding this weekend drama. Staring Park Si Hoo, Shin Hye Sun, Lee Tae Hwan and Seo Eun Soo, this drama brings back the classic birth secret since "Autumn In My Heart" in 2000 back then. But, even so, this drama portrays a much different approach which make it stand out even in the same kind of cliche.


My Golden Life depicts a story about a woman who has a chance to rise in status and a man who finds happiness in her. A mother's misguided love has caused her daughters to get swapped in status, and so the heroine Seo Ji An (played by Shin Hye Sun) enters the chaebol household to have a better life without knowing she is actually not their long-lost daughter, but her "former twin" sister instead. 
When the secret get revealed, will she be able to continue her life, and what will happen to her relationship with the son of chaebol family Choi Do Kyung (played by Park Si Hoo), whom she has gotten closer to as siblings?

Personally, I kinda interested with the storyline, making me curious as how it would turn out, though I bet that in the end, the heroine will find her happiness even though she is not the chaebol daugther and end up having a love relationship with our hero. But how would it be like that, that's what I am curious about. The background story may be the same, but how the writer lead to a beautiful ending, that's what most important in my opinion. 

With huge scandal back then in 2013, Park Si Hoo has been quite active with overseas drama, while this time, he made a comeback as male lead and it leads him to win Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama during 31st KBS Drama Awards. I quite like him though the last time when he appeared in Prosecutor Princess & Cheongdam-dong Alice, though he's still not my type of male lead in K-drama, but he consistently manages to make his way in the industry back then. If we compare him to other male lead like Song Joong Ki, Hyun Bin, Gong Yoo, Park Bo Gum and others, I would say, Park Si Hoo has a lot more to learn. He's a bit stiff with his acting actually, but this drama story line helps him. 

Meanwhile, with this drama, Shin Hye Sun rise in status as an actress. She had played several drama, that also includes The Legend of The Blue Sea with Lee Min Ho & Jun Ji Hyun, but this is the first time I saw her as a female lead and I love her character so much. She's tough, strong and knows what she wants in life. So when things fell apart, I love how she takes time to heal herself mentally and physically. Though I may not understand why the secret makes her to even commit suicide, making her as the most vulnerable victim, though the real daughter was not in such pain like her. My guess is that, she knows what Haesung Group could do to her life, so maybe living was pointless in her opinion. And during times like this, I love our second male lead, Lee Tae Hwan, our daddy-long-leg haha, a second male lead syndrome who always be there to help our heroine. 

If it was me, maybe I would choose Lee Tae Hwan instead of Park Si Hoo. Maybe that's my preference only. I love how dependable Lee Tae Hwan as Sunwoo Hyuk here. He may not come from chaebol family, but he knows exactlt what he's after for in his life. He keeps secret very well as well and concerns about his friend & older sister. He takes care everyone genuinely and cares for them, showing a more mature, confident and cool attitude towards his life. I think I would prefer someone like him instead of someone who has so much money but has no freedom & opinions. 

Anyway, the side story I like the most usually revolves around Choi Seo Hyun (or called Cinderella), the maknae daughter of Haesung Corporation & Seo Ji Ho (Seo Ji An's younger brother) because both of them are sooo cute. I would usually skip Seo Ji An's family scene & Sunwoo Hyun's older sister love story haha because it's just too mainstream :p

I am so curious how this series would turn out. Been addicted to this drama till I can't stop myself from watching each episodes like crazy, making me so addicted about what would happen next. The writer has such magic to pull the viewers into the story. Maybe that's why this drama receives a good rating & review. 

Anyone has free time, please do watch "My Golden Life" cos you wont regret it! Be careful not to over-obssessed with the episodes :p

1 comment:

  1. I did see My Golden Life and it's may be my favorite Kdrama ever. Ironically I saw this because I wanted to see more Shin Hye Sun's performances from watching Mr Queen. This show, at least to me was better than Mr Queen. Just a great show. It would have been interesting if they had a second season. I also would have been interesting in the side relation between Choi Seo Hyun and Seo Ji Ho. It would have also been nice for them to have explored the relationship between Seo Ji An and Choi Seo Hyun as former "sisters."

    ReplyDelete